Parent Notices from USD 400

Proof of Identity Requirement
State law requires school districts to obtain proof of identity for all students new to the district.  This proof may be a birth certificate, a copy of a court order placing a child in the custody of DCF (Department for Children and Families), a certified transcript or other similar student record, or other documentary evidence that the School Board deems satisfactory.  If this proof is not provided within 30 days the Board must notify the local law enforcement agency, which will then promptly investigate the identity of the child.

Buckley Amendment (Family Rights and Privacy Act)
The Buckley Amendment requires that the school district give public notice of the categories of directory information that it intends to release including, but is not limited to the studentʼs name; address; telephone listing; electronic mail address; photograph; date and place of birth; major field of study; grade level; enrollment status (e.g. full-time or part-time); participation in officially recognized activities and sports; weight and height of members of athletic teams, dates of attendance; certificates, honors, and awards received; and the most recent school educational agency or institution attended by the student. Parents should inform the district that any or all of the designated information may not be released without the parentʼs prior consent.

Notice of USDA Nondiscrimination Statement
In accordance with Federal civil rights law and U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) civil rights regulations and policies, the USDA, its Agencies, offices, and employees, and institutions participating in or administering USDA programs are prohibited from discriminating based on race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, or reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity in any program or activity conducted or funded by USDA.

Persons with disabilities who require alternative means of communication for program information (e.g. Braille, large print, audiotape, American Sign Language, etc.), should contact the Agency (State or local) where they applied for benefits.  Individuals who are deaf, hard of hearing or have speech disabilities may contact USDA through the Federal Relay Service at (800) 877-8339.  Additionally, program information may be made available in languages other than English.

To file a program complaint of discrimination, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, (AD-3027) found online at:, and at any USDA office, or write a letter address to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form.  To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992.  Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by:

(1)  Mail:  
U.S. Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, D.C. 20250-9410;

(2)  Fax:
(202) 690-7442; or

(3)  Email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

Human Sexuality and AIDS Education
U.S.D. 400 is complying with the State of Kansas mandate on teaching Human Sexuality and AIDS Education in all schools. Any questions concerning the program should be discussed with the building principal.

Asbestos Notification
U.S.D. 400 has developed an asbestos management plan and it is available for review in each attendance center and the Administrative Center. We are fortunate in not having an excessive amount of asbestos. All asbestos is being maintained in an encapsulated form. All asbestos is inspected every six months. The notice complies with EPA Reg. 763.84 and 763.93G.4.

Drug Free Schools
In accordance with P. L. 102-226, it is unlawful for students or school employees of U.S.D. 400 to possess, use, or distribute illicit drugs and alcohol on school premises or as part of any school activity.

Kansas statutes require that all children new to the district, all pre-kindergarten (Pre-K) and all kindergarten students must present certification from a licensed physician stating that he/she has had, or is receiving immunization against polio, diphtheria, whooping cough, tetanus, hepatitis B, varicella, mumps, and measles, or indicate legal exemption. Pre-K through 12th grade students are also required to have the hepatitis B series. Two doses of varicella are required for grades PreK thru 12th.  A booster dose of Tdap is required at 7th-12th grade regardless of the interval since the last dose of Td (tetanus/diptheria). This is to improve pertusis (whooping cough) immunity due to increasing outbreaks.  Also required for Pre-K that are less than 5 years are three doses of haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib), four doses of pneumococcal conjugate (PCV7) and two doses of hepatitis A.

Health Assessments
New students (including Pre-K and kindergarten pupils) must have a copy of a birth certificate when enrolling.

Any new early childhood program or kindergarten student will need a school entry physical completed by a Kansas physician within 12 months prior to the first day of school. New students under the age of 9 years who are attending a Kansas school for the first time, also require a physical as described above. Documentation of the physical must be provided to the school prior to attending.

Medication Policy
If a student must have medication, this also includes all over the counter medications, administered during the school day a "Request For Medication To Be Administered at School" form must be signed by the physician and parent or guardian. This form must be returned to the school with the medication in the original prescription container and delivered to the school by the parent or responsible adult designated by the parent. Parents or guardians are welcome to come to school to dispense their child's medications if they are unable to get the above requirement met.

Athletic Physicals
Those students planning to participate in athletics or cheerleading must have physicals prior to the beginning of participating in practice.   A physical is required every year.  Forms may be downloaded from (click on the Back to School link); or the forms are available at the school district office.

Teacher Qualifications
As the parent of a student attending a school that receives federal funds under the “No Child Left Behind” Act, you have the right to know the professional qualifications of each of your childʼs teachers. You have the right to ask for the following information about each of your childʼs teachers:
-Whether the teacher is certified by the state of Kansas to teach the grades and subjects he or she teaches;
-Whether the teacher is teaching under an emergency or other provisional certificate;
-The teachers college major;
-Whether the teacher has any advanced degrees and, if so, the subject of those degrees; and
-Whether aids or paraprofessionals provide services to your child and, if so, the qualifications of the aide or paraprofessional.
If you would like to receive any or all of this information in this section, please contact the respective building principal for that information.

Student Achievement Data
As a part of the NCLB legislation, schools are to provide access to state and building report card information. Individual school offices as well as the district office can point you in the direction of the KSDE website for this information or you may explore that by going to and choosing the building report card topic under that menu option or go directly to: to find information about state and local assessment data. If you have a student in grades 3-8 they would have taken assessments in math and reading, students in grades 4 and 7 in science, students in grades 5 and 8 in writing (odd years), and students in grades 5 and 8 in social science (even years). Please contact building principals about your specific studentsʼ scores as they are required to provide that information upon request. At the high school level, students must take assessments in mathematics, reading, social science, science, and writing. Their schedules differ from the lower grades as they are given more flexibility as to when they are taken (which grade level and in many cases, the time of year). Ask your building principal about scheduling and individual assessment data as it pertains to your child as they are more than happy to share that information with you as required by law.

  • In a shelter
  • In a motel or campground due to the lack of an alternative adequate accommodation
  • In a car, park, abandoned building, or bus or train station
  • Doubled up with other people due to loss of housing or economic hardship
Your school-age children may qualify for certain rights and protections under the federal McKinney-Vento Act.

Your eligible children have the right to:
  • Receive a free, appropriate public education.
  • Enroll in school immediately, even if lacking documents normally required for enrollment.
  • Enroll in school and attend classes while the school gathers needed documents.
  • Enroll in the local school; or continue attending their school of origin (the school they attended when permanently housed or the school in which they were last enrolled), if that is your preference and is feasible.
If the school district believes that the school you select is not in the best interest of your children, then the district must provide you with a
  • written explanation of its position and inform you of your right to appeal its decision.
  • Receive transportation to and from the school of origin, if you request this.
  • Receive educational services comparable to those provided to other students, according to your childrenʼs needs.
If you believe your children may be eligible, contact the local liaison to find out what services and supports may be available. There also may be supports available for your preschool-age children. The homeless liaison for USD 400 is Fred Van Ranken, Director of Student Learning. 126 S. Main, Lindsborg, KS 67567. Phone Number 785-227-2981. Email: State Homeless Liaison Tate Toedman 785-296-6714

English Language Learners
If you have questions or concerns about how USD 400 address English Language Learners (ELL), the school district, according to Title VI of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, must offer an English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) program until that student is proficient in English and can be successful in the mainstream classroom without additional language support services. Those students are identified at enrollment time initially through information obtained through the forms used at that time. Rest assured that USD 400 does itʼs best to comply will federal law and will provide the necessary services to all ELL students. If you have questions or concerns, please contact your respective building principal or the Director of Student Learning at the USD 400 Central Office (Fred Van Ranken 126 S. Main, Lindsborg, KS 67567. Phone Number 785-227-2981. Email:

Tenga en cuenta la disponibilidad de los hispanohablantes

Para obtener una copia de estos avisos en español por favor pregunte al personal de la oficina en su edificio particular en lo que proporcionará una copia escrita por usted sin ningún costo.